Sunday, July 1, 2012

27. Nuns vs. Vatican

Lately, there's been a lot of talk about the whole Vatican-attacking-nuns thing. As someone who has been talking to nuns and sisters a lot, and as a young woman currently discerning a religious vocation, this frightened me at first. What did this mean for the nuns? What was going to happen? Why were they being investigated? How dare the Pope pick on those poor, innocent nuns! What do you mean they're not doing a good enough job? Haven't you (Mr. Pope) heard of the Sisters of Life? ... ... Oh.

Sisters of Life, NY, Members of the CMSWR


The "crackdown" is on the (mostly) nontraditional nuns of the LCWR - Leadership Conference of Women Religious. The Sisters of life are a part of the CMSWR - the Council of Major Superiors of Women Religious. They're not being targeted. The LCWR is... Oh, now I get it!


After doing some research, I learned a few more things. These nuns usually are feminist, standing up for female ordination, and they also usually advocate for gay marriage and abortion - all topics that the Catholic Church has taken a strict stance on - a stance that doesn't agree with the Church. And they actually teach against them. And this is why the Vatican is "going after" these sisters.



You may say, "But look at all of the good that they do! They work in hospitals, adoption services, and help the poor!" That's great, and I'm sure they do a wonderful job at that. But that's not what the Vatican is judging right now. The Vatican is making a decision on their adherence to Church teachings on abortion, contraception, gay marriage, and the ordination of women priests. And in these areas, the sisters have failed to do their jobs. And that is why they're being evaluated.

In truth, the Vatican is NOT a bunch of men picking on the poor women nuns. The sisters have strayed from Church teaching, and this needs to be corrected. Not all nuns are being targeted, it is only the umbrella group LCWR, and those orders associated with the organization. These nuns have tricked everyone, through their use of the media, into believing that it is the "male hierarchy" bullying the nuns "for no reason." They have fooled people into thinking that the Vatican is overlooking all of the good that they've done. They have tricked people into thinking that the Vatican is targeting them solely because they're women. This is NOT the case!

What infuriates me is how misinformed the supporters are. I saw a video of a priest having a discussion with a woman who was in a protest for the nuns. (The woman initiated the dialogue. They were marching outside of a parish and decided to pounce on the priest after the Mass was finished.) It was frustrating to watch, but also very entertaining to see all of the fallacies that she was saying, and how uninformed she was. She resorted to inturrupting him, yelling, and overall, being rude. The priest, on the other hand, was extremely calm, kind, prepared, and informed. Watch it for yourself :


Gotta love Fr. Ted. :) ... Can't stand the ladies' ignorance...

If I'm wrong, please let me know. I'm not picking on the nuns - in fact, I have many friends who are nuns, and I am discerning religious life right now. It's not that I'm upset with them, I am just disappointed that they have made this seem like they are under attack. I am hopeful that the nuns and the Vatican will come to an agreement, everything will be resolved, and these feminists will stop picketing and stop harassing well informed priests with misinformation.

That is all. I'm done with my rant...

I hope that cleared up some confusion, and gave you a new perspective. Have a great day, don't forget to comment and share if you liked the post!

{doGtoGevI}

God Bless!

~Kylie~







2 comments:

  1. Amen. The only time I really watch mainstream media is at the gym. Inevitably I'll look up from running my 5k and there will be something on the host of giant TVs about the Vatican bearing down on the nuns. It makes me want to jump off the treadmill and tell the whole gym I'm a real Catholic and the Pope is right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I know exactly what you mean! The mainstream media is not accurate and often it shines a bad light on us. I'm so happy that there are people who side with me on this one!! :D
      God Bless you and thank you for reading and commenting!

      Delete