Tuesday, May 20, 2014

65. My recent projects

I have about 0 artistic talent.

But given that many orders (including the one that I am seriously considering) have apostolates such as painting, stitching, and sewing, I figured I should at least attempt to cultivate some artistic trade or hobby. 

In case you weren't aware, I love mantillas. I can spend hours just looking online at mantillas. I love the history and purpose of them. I love wearing them. So I figured the most interesting and practical art to learn would be sewing. I don't own a machine any longer; it got left behind when I moved out of my parents' house a little over a year ago. Thus, I had to do any sewing that I did by hand.

Perhaps you don't understand the gravity of the task that I was about to undertake. While spending a weekend with the Parish Visitors of Mary Immaculate (another fantastic order!), I attempted to sew my new blue scapular of the Immaculate Conception to my brown scapular. Needless to say, it was a major project for me, as someone who can't even sew a button back on a shirt... I got the job done though, and my scapular is still (somehow) together after 5 months...

So during 40 Days For Life, I thought it'd be nice to do as St. Faustina once did, and offer up every stitch. So I parked myself in the house that we used as our "home base" next door to the local Planned Parenthood. I found a quiet room upstairs with a table and chairs, and pulled out some lace and trim that I had purchased from the local fabric store. I managed to cut the lace (into a decent shape) and sew the trim on it by hand. The whole process took about 4 hours. Although the mantilla looks horrendous and I probably would never wear it, I was very proud of my accomplishment. About a month ago (or maybe 2... I've lost track of time lately) I attempted again. This time it came out slightly better, and definitely more wearable. I was getting better at stitching. My third mantilla (shown below) makes me really proud (which might not be good because I really should work on my humility...)! It looks great! It's very simple. I've worn it a number of times and have gotten some nice compliments on it by people who didn't know that I made it!




It's a lot longer than it appears in this photo. 
It reaches almost all the way down my back.


My most recent one is this scarf-style mantilla. The lace is a light ivory; the bottom trim is a golden color, and the top trim is the same light ivory color. Again, very simple.




The bottom (gold) edge is curved to be longer in the middle and skinnier on either side.

If you have any ideas for mantilla styles to make (My next one is a small elliptical shape, maybe white, maybe black... Will post pictures once it's finished), please share them in the comments below! If you have any tips or tricks I'd love to hear them too!

Thanks for reading! God bless!

PAX

~SSWW

UPDATE: (6/13/14)

Maybe a week or two ago, I finished this short semi-circle mantilla. It's blue with a white crochet trim. I love it!!


No comments:

Post a Comment